Issue #7: September 26, 1998
- As previously reported, Annie Get Your Gun is returning
to Broadway thanks to producers Fran and Barry Weissler. This
new incarnation of the Irving Berlin classic will star
Bernadette Peters when previews begin on Feb. 2 at the
- Funnyman Martin Short will play a number of roles in
the Roundabout Theater Companys revival of Neil Simons
musical Little Me. Mr. Short will share the bill with
Faith Prince when the curtain rises for a limited 17-week
engagement beginning Sept. 30 at the Roundabout.
- "New York, New York, its a helluva town
As expected, the Public Theater begins previews on Oct. 20
of its stunning production of On The Town at the
- Those buff bods of Fosse will grace the stage at the
Broadhurst beginning Dec. 26.
- It looks like Washington, D.C. is the place to be this season
for touring road shows. The National Theatre will play host
to Bring in Da Noise, Bring in Da Funk, Barrymore
and Cats in December alone. Then in the new year,
Annie, Evita and Les Miserables will all make
- When The Lion King does make it to the U.K. it looks
like the Lyceum Theatre will house the Disney masterpiece.
- Televisions Prime Suspect star Helen Mirren
will take to the Olivier stage on Oct. 20 in Anthony and
Cleopatra. Her Anthony in this production is none other
than Alan Rickmanremember him as the wicked Sheriff
of Nottingham in Kevin Costners Robin Hood?
With these two powerful stage forces Im sure it will be
an unforgettable night of theatre.
- The fall television season will welcome the sitcom debut of
veteran Broadway star Nathan Lane in Encore! Encore!
Last seen on Broadway in A Funny Thing Happened on the
Way to the Forum, Lane has appeared on the big screen with
Robin Williams in The BirdCage, The Lion King
and Ironweed to name a few. If his infectious wit translates
to the television viewing audience, the program is destined
to be a hit.